Cheddar and Chive Mashed Potatoes
My husband swears my cheddar mashed potatoes are the world's best. We always have some in the freezer. Sometimes I dollop individual servings in muffin cups and reheat them that way instead. —Cynthia Gerken, Naples, Florida
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (6 ounces) french-fried onions
- Place potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- Add butter, sour cream, salt and pepper; beat until blended. Beat in whipping cream. Stir in cheeses and chives. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To serve, preheat oven to 350°. Remove potatoes from refrigerator while oven heats.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes, stirring after 30 minutes. Sprinkle with toppings; bake, uncovered, until heated through, about 15 minutes.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 474 calories, 32g fat (18g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Mashed Potato Cups in Simple & Delicious October/November 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.