Sweet Potatoes with Apples
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 30 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, alternately layer potatoes and apples. Pour orange juice over top. Combine the brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon; sprinkle over potatoes and apples. Dot with butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until apples are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 225 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 26, 2017
Manga the directions say to "alternately layer potatoes and apples", so you would have potatoes, apples, potatoes, apples until you used all you had sliced.
Jan 25, 2017
The picture shows the potatoes on the bottom and the apples on top. The description by Jean also states the apples should be on top,but the directions say to layer. Confusing.
Nov 14, 2014
A favorite among my whole family. We have made this many times over and enjoy it as a welcome change from the typical overly sweetened sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Also works well to make this ahead and refrigerate before cooking.
Jan 17, 2013
Wow! We grow sweet potatos, so we had tons! This is a tasty way to eat them!
Nov 22, 2012
This is a welcome change after eating candied sweet potatoes for years. I would recommend this to anyone who loves apples and sweet potatoes. Yum!
Nov 15, 2012
This is delicious! The sweet potatoes compliment the apples and the other way around. I really did enjoy this. There were hardly any leftovers after I made this!
Jul 20, 2012
Very few recipes say "autumn" like this recipe. We love the combination of sweet poataoes and apples. It has just the right touch of spices to make this dish soooo good. It's a keeper!
Dec 8, 2011
Easy to make. Apples are a tasty change.
Nov 21, 2010
I have made this recipe for the last two years now. It got rave reviews from my family. I found it in the Taste of Home Holiday 2008. I am so glad I did! Absolutely superb!!!
Jan 9, 2010
This was excellent. Easy to prepare and the leftovers reheated nicely in the microwave. The only thing I did differently was to chop the apples instead of leaving them in rings so that every bite would have a some.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.