Healthy Apple Sweet Potato Bake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3 cups sliced peeled cooked sweet potatoes
- 3 cups sliced peeled tart apples (about 2 large)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish, layer half of the sweet potatoes and apples. In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice, salt and pepper; sprinkle half over apples. Dot with half of the butter. Repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Baste with pan juices. Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 167 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 13, 2015
Perfect balance of flavors without being overly sweet. As noted by others, this dish would work with even less sugar as the apples lend a natural sweetness to the dish. I may not make sweet potatoes any other way from now on!
Jan 1, 2013
Just the recipe I was looking for. It went really well together and wasn't too sweet. A nice side dish with ham!
Dec 25, 2012
The tart apple combination is a winner! Everyone raved. Very pretty too.
May 16, 2012
Excellent. Next time I will cut down the sugar as the apples naturally sweeten things up.
Nov 24, 2011
Easy to make and GREAT taste.Not as sweet as some of them :-)Will make again.
Nov 4, 2011
Really yummy with my pork roast. I just added a sprinkle of cinnamon on both layers, which was delicious. Definitely try this one!
Nov 29, 2009
This was outstanding! I wouldn't change a thing! Awesome!
Dec 4, 2008
I'll make the recipe as is the 1st time. The second time I make it, I think I'll add cinnamon and maybe a small amount of chopped pecans or walnuts. I think it is going to be a great addition to my side dishes!