Sweet Potatoes and Apples
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min.
- 5 medium sweet potatoes
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 20 minutes or just until tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices. In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the apples and sweet potatoes. Repeat layers.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the butter, cinnamon and salt. Pour over sweet potatoes and apples.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 143 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 19, 2012
We are trying to eliminate salt from our diet and this recipe tastes great without any added salt
Oct 16, 2012
It needs more cinnamon for sure. Otherwise it was very good.
Oct 12, 2011
I made this last night to go with barbecued spareribs. It was so easy and tasted fantastic with the ribs -- my husband quickly declared it a "keeper"!
Nov 22, 2010
I make this recipe often. Delicious and so good for you, too.
Apr 1, 2010
LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS RECIPE!! I added whole pecans...SO delicious!!!
Nov 27, 2009
very good, must hand slice the sweet potatoes, excellent flavor, and smells awesome when cooking
Nov 19, 2009
I make something similar only I use apple pie filling and pour over the sweet potatoes and add ground cloves, cinnamon and brown sugar. I love sweet potatoes and apples.
Nov 18, 2009
Simple, easy, healthy and tastes wonderful- what more can you ask for! I added cut up acorn squash and my company loved it. Will be making this a lot over the winter months.
Nov 18, 2009
We peel sweet potatoes and slice them. Add sliced granny smith apples, a handful of dried cranberries, dot with butter and sprinkle with brown sugar. Wrap it all up in a foil packet and bake until tender. It tastes better and the red berries brighten up the dish.
Nov 18, 2009
I've been making a variation on this for years. Two things: watch the juiciness of the apples, sometimes you need to add a little extra liquid or apple juice, and secondly, I have used brown sugar for a more mellow taste. Enjoy!