Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes with Apples
This foolproof winner is easy to prepare and makes a beautiful alternative to traditional sweet potatoes. To save time, make it ahead, allow it to cool, and refrigerate up to two days. On feast day, put it in the slow cooker set to low about two hours before serving, and reheat while the turkey roasts. Add a bit of apple cider or water if needed. —Judy Batson, Tampa, Florida
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 10 medium)
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Peel and cut potatoes lengthwise in half; cut crosswise into 1/2-in. slices. Place potatoes and apples in a 6-qt. slow cooker. In a small saucepan, mix butter, brown sugar and pie spice. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until blended, 1-2 minutes. Pour over potato mixture. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 5-6 hours.
- With a slotted spoon, remove potatoes and apples to a bowl, reserving cooking liquid. Mash potato mixture, gradually adding enough reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, to reach desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 383 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 6g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potatoes and Apples in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.