Sweet Potatoes and Parsnips
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 4 medium parsnips (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Cut each half lengthwise into four pieces, then into 3-in. slices. Cut parsnips into quarters, then into 3-in. pieces. Place the potatoes, parsnips and onion in a 3-qt. microwave-safe baking dish. Cover and microwave on high for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes; stir. Cover and cook 30 seconds longer or until vegetables are crisp tender. Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Transfer to two 15x10x1-in. baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 169 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 5g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 20, 2016
I omitted the microwave step . I simply roasted all of the vegetables together on a baking sheet, stirring occasionally. I used seasoned garlic salt. I also did use this much olive oil, just enough to cover lightly.
Oct 28, 2013
This was a nice recipe for fall. I used turnips rather than parsnips, omitted the allspice, and added a sliced apple before putting it in the oven. I will make this again
Oct 11, 2008
am doing the prep today for our Canadian Thanksgiving tomorrow...adding spices and oil now may not be wise...will let you all know
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.