Parsnip Potato Gratin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 large parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Layer the potatoes, onions, parsnips and 3/4 cup cheese in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine the flour, salt, pepper; gradually whisk in cream. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; pour over vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 20-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender and top is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 412 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 8, 2013
I used smoked gruyere. The onions must have been very sweet as I thought it was too sweet. I'll use less onion next time, and try and find an onion that is not so sweet.
Nov 27, 2012
This is very good and I have given this to many of my Friends and Family.
Nov 6, 2012
Can I make this the night before and reheat the next day?
May 3, 2012
This is really very, very good. We cut the recipe in half because there are only two of us at this stage in life....... but we did make a huge pan of it when the kids were all over for dinner. Everybody agrees it is a really great recipe, and a nice new twist on the potato gratin classic. My husband adds a few green onions, chopped to give it some color and interest. WE LOVE IT!
Dec 4, 2011
I didn't put as many parsnips in as the receipe called for and it was still very good.
Nov 1, 2011
Yum! This was a fun way to try a new exotic veggie. If you don't have parsnips, just potatoes would be good too. The parsnips give it a wonderful flavor though. Our family loved this, the swiss cheese sauce was so good, I'll never buy canned alfredo again. I may try the sauce on macaroni.