Carrot, Parsnip and Potato Gratin
Thanks to a challenge in the TOH community a few years back, my husband and I tried parsnips and discovered that we liked them! In fact, I've started growing them in my garden and have been having fun experimenting with them. This recipe is one of my “experiments,” and turned out to be something we really enjoy! —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + standing
- 1 pound medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound medium parsnips, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake until vegetables are tender, 40-45 minutes. Uncover and bake until cream has thickened and is beginning to turn golden brown, 10-15 minutes longer. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 141 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 208mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Carrot, Parsnip, and Potato Gratin with Rosemary in Taste of Home November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.