Brussels Sprouts & Cauliflower Gratin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 4 cups fresh brussels sprouts, quartered
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place cauliflower and brussels sprouts in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving drippings. Saute onion and garlic in drippings until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add the milk, cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cauliflower mixture and bacon. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 15 minutes.
- Combine bread crumbs and cheese blend. Uncover vegetables; sprinkle with bread crumb mixture. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 196 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 547mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 24, 2017
Tried this for a dinner party with family. It was a hit! Everyone loved it. Will make it again for sure.
Nov 19, 2014
This recipe is a keeper. It was also delicious as a left over.
Nov 17, 2014
Family loved it and asked me to make again for Thanksgiving!
Nov 10, 2014
Great recipe, easy to prepare.P.S. I noticed on off topic some peopled mentioned being put off by the ADLI ad. They must have changed it, I only have seen a small one in some of the corners of the recipe.A trick my husband taught me was to NEVER look at anything on line that has the word AD any where near it. Saves you getting the cookie.
Apr 22, 2014
Loved it!! Almost followed the recipe as written - I substituted fat free half/half for the regular. I did increase the sauce by adding more half/half. Next time I will decrease the amount of garlic and try sauté the onions & garlic in olive oil rather than the bacon drippings. Trying to reduce the calories/fat where ever possible. Great recipe, Thanks!!
Oct 14, 2012
What a WONDERFUL recipe !! This is my husbands FAVORITE !!!
Mar 7, 2012
Have made this several times and it has always been a hit
Dec 26, 2011
I think I used too much cauliflower and sprouts, because I thought the sauce was a little scanty. But otherwise it was simple and good, and the children ate it uncomplainingly.
Dec 25, 2011
this delicious vege dish was a super hit onchristmas eve. It's so creamy and the panko bread crumbs give it the right texture. We will make this again and again!
Dec 20, 2011
I made this dish for Thanksgiving and have made it 2 more times since! It will be on the table for Christmas dinner this year as well. Love it!!