- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 5 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons crushed cornflakes
- Place 1 in. of water in a saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in 3 teaspoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese and parsley until cheese is melted. Drain carrots; add to sauce.
- Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish. Melt remaining butter; stir in cornflakes. Sprinkle over carrots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
3/4 cup: 266 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 608mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 8g protein.