This recipe from a junior high home economics class was brought home by my sister, Laurie. My family liked it so much that it became a part of our Christmas dinner tradition. — Elizabeth Plants, Kirkwood, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, cut into two inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, bring 1 in. of water to a boil. Add carrots; cover and cook until crisp-tender, 5-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, bouillon, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 2 minutes. Drain carrots; stir into sauce. Sprinkle with parsley.