Country Roasted Chicken
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 65 min. + standing
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Minced fresh parsley
- Sprinkle inside of chicken with thyme and 1 teaspoon salt. Stuff chicken with the onion, celery and parsley sprigs. Place in a greased oven-proof Dutch oven.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining salt over chicken. Add potatoes and broth to pan. Cover and bake 25 minutes longer.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 180°. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Sprinkle with minced parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 455 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 131mg cholesterol, 1377mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 44g protein.
Jan 5, 2018
I thought this was average for as much time as it took to cook. The times here for the chicken I had were way off. I had to leave it in the oven for another 20 minutes and it was still borderline closer to the bone. I don't feel the onions and carrots inside the chicken gave it much more flavor. Thankfully I anticipated this and seasoned under the skin and rubbed the chicken down with butter prior to roasting to give a nice crispy skin. That, unfortunately was the best part of the chicken.
Jun 4, 2015
The results from following the instructions yield forth a flavorful, tender, juicy roasted chicken. Beautiful. Made chicken salad with the left overs. Thanks for sharing.
Jan 23, 2014
Sliced onion, celery, and three garlic gloves and stuffed 5lb chicken. Added ten minutes to each baking time. Used 3/4 cup broth and cut up potatoes. Salted and peppered inside and out of chicken. Threw two bay leaves on top. Used soup base to make broth with chicken neck in boiling water. Mixed two T softened butter with two T flour and added to pan juices to make gravy.
Nov 18, 2013
Sep 25, 2013
Sooooo good! I will use as my go-to roast hen recipe from now on. I don't usually alter recipes but next time I will try just 1/2 teasp salt inside and just a wee sprinkle on top - oh and add more broth -just so there's more for gravy. Teenaged daughter said "you should make this more often". She is starting to collect recipes and this one is a definite keeper. Thank you for sharing, Judy Page and Taste of Home.
Oct 28, 2012
Super tasting and super easy! The chicken comes out moist and falling off the bone. This recipe gets a blue ribbon. I served it with Herbed Honey Lime Sauce, another TOH recipe.
Mar 28, 2012
It was good, I cut pototoes to cook it faster and pototoes must be in the broth to be cooked and not dry hard. I sprinkled the chicken with garlic.
Jan 1, 2011
This was really good. The chicken was really moist and the potatoes came out with the perfect consistency. The recipie was so simple, I was really surprised how good the flavor was.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.