Herb-Crusted Rack of Lamb with Mushroom Sauce
With this easy, surefire recipe, you don't have to be intimidated to prepare rack of lamb for a holiday dinner. Rice pilaf and roasted asparagus are a lovely way to round out the meal.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
Makes4 servings (1 cup sauce)
- 2 frenched racks of lamb (1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
- 4-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 3/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, optional
- Sprinkle lamb with steak seasoning. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook lamb in oil for 2 minutes on each side. Brush with mustard.
- In a small bowl, combine the panko, thyme, mint, Worcestershire sauce and rosemary; press onto lamb. Transfer to a greased 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms in oil and 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Stir in the broth, honey, remaining butter and chives if desired.
- Remove lamb from oven and loosely cover with foil. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with sauce.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1/2 rack with 1/4 cup sauce: 532 calories, 39g fat (14g saturated fat), 130mg cholesterol, 861mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as “Land Down Under” Panko and Herb crusted Rack of Lamb with a Shiraz Mushroom Sauce in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.