Herb-Crusted Prime Rib
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + standing
- 1 large shallot, coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, quartered
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage or 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bone-in beef rib roast (4 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place the first six ingredients in a food processor; cover and pulse until finely chopped. Add oil, pepper and salt; cover and process until blended. Rub over roast. Place on a rack in a large roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm; let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring broth and wine to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat; stir in butter and salt. Slice roast; serve with sauce.
Nutrition Facts1/2 pound: 338 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 92mg cholesterol, 612mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 31g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2018
Very tasty, packs a punch! We love garlic, and this recipe fit the bill. Love the fresh herbs and was very easy to prepare with the food processor. Was a little too rich for the kids, but adults enjoyed.
Dec 21, 2017
I LOVED this recipe!! This was my first time making a prime rib roast and it was surprisingly easy and SO delicious.
Dec 13, 2015
The best prime rib recipe I have ever used/tried/seen. My family raved so much after last Christmas' meal, that I had to make it again this year! One for the traditions list.. for sure!
Nov 22, 2015
Delicious. Make again.
Dec 29, 2014
Awesome!!!!!!! The best I have eaten
Dec 24, 2013
If you add a Liter of Sprite to this Prime Rib Roast it will be Juicier and it will tenderize the meat too.Happy Holiday's
Jun 20, 2013
Delicious! I started with a great cut of meat and the flavours just melted in your mouth. I might tweak the red wine that I use the next time I make it. Thanks for sharing, I'll serve it again and again and again!
Jun 9, 2013
I made this twice, Christmas and Father's Day, just to be sure it was not a fluke! Everyone loved it and could not believe it was so tender. I used pepper corns the second time and got an even more favorable review from my husband than he gave first time at Christmas. The price of the meat is well worth it. The satisfaction and compliments of your guests will be one for the memory books of gatherings!!!!
May 4, 2013
I made this roast for Easter dinner. It has an excellent flavor, but turned out a bit on the dry side because I think I should have covered it (I live in high elevation).
Feb 11, 2013
Great rub, great tasting prime rib! Had a small (2-1/2lb) roast for two of us, made half of the rub to accommodate the small size. We like ours medium-well, so cooked at 350 for 1 hour/40minutes (160 temp) - perfect. Did not like the Au Jus recipe so made my own using Campbell's French Onion soup and worchestershire sauce. Keeper recipe for sure!