Herb-Crusted Chuck Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours + standing
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 boneless beef chuck or top blade roast(about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Rub over entire roast. Place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender and reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Let stand for 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Serve with the roast.
Nutrition Facts6 ounce-weight: 394 calories, 25g fat (10g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 205mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 35g protein.
Mar 4, 2015
it was just ok.
Dec 23, 2012
My husband really liked this. I ate it but I really don't like roast of any kind so I'm not one to judge. I changed out the savory for tarragon (his favorite) and skipped the sauce. It made it into my tried and true recipes for him.
Jun 24, 2010
Has excellent flavor, even though the "sauce" doesn't really seem like sauce. It is delicious. And to earlier comment - no, you do not have to brown the meat because you are cooking it uncovered...it browns in the oven.
Oct 1, 2009
DON'T i HAVE TO BROWN THE ROAST?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.