Simple Au Gratin Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 5 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes (about 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add potatoes and onion.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour. Uncover; bake 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 224 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 605mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jun 19, 2018
a favorite of mine and my boyfriend, I add about six strips of bacon chopped and a can of sweet corn. it gives it a smoky summer feel
Jun 17, 2018
Easy, quick and Amazing! The family ate them all up. My daughter is always asking for augratin potatoes and since we stopped cooking from a box, this is the first recipe I tried and it's a keeper.
Apr 17, 2018
These are delicious scalloped potatoes.I used evaporated milk instead of 2%. It gives them a richer flavor.
Feb 26, 2018
Fantastic recipe! I had some potatoes I needed to use up so ended up increasing the amounts of everything but salt by half. I also didn't have shredded cheddar on hand so I used 1/2 Mozzarella and 1/2 American and used whole milk instead of 2%. I can't wait to make this again.
Feb 15, 2018
Great recipe! Only modification I made was to use 1 1/2 cups of cheese instead and sprinkle some on top for the last 20 or so minutes of baking. Who doesn't love a cheesy baked crust? Next time I'll use a stronger tasting cheese too like a gruyere or at least sharp cheddar. The regular cheddar didntdidn't have a cheesy enough taste.
Jan 17, 2018
Tasty. It was easy to make. Make sure to rinse the potatoes. I can see adding things in it like mushrooms or peas etc.
Dec 25, 2017
Nov 20, 2017
Can I do everything but the baking the day before or will that screw up cheese?
Nov 15, 2017
This is a great recipe that can be tweaked for your personal taste. I have altered the cheeses and generally add paprika on top.
Sep 11, 2017
Tweeked this by adding Mexican cheese mix and smoked paprika....awesome!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.