Vegetarian Potato au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan, saute carrots and pepper in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour, oregano and salt until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beans and 2 cups cheese until cheese is melted.
- Layer half of the potatoes and sauce in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; repeat layers. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. In a microwave, melt the remaining butter. Stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top.
- Cover and bake 50-55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 557 calories, 25g fat (16g saturated fat), 77mg cholesterol, 749mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 7g fiber), 27g protein.
Mar 1, 2015
I liked this but will probably add a little more spices to it next time.
Feb 26, 2014
I made this dish 2 days ago in honor of Meatless Monday. I am always on the lookout for meatless meals. This is definitely a keeper. Next time I will use half sweet potatoes just to give it a different twist.
Feb 17, 2012
I loved this recipe. All the vegetable make it a great addition to just potatoes. It makes it more of a complete meal. I made it exactly as written except only used 8 ounces of Italian cheese blend.
Feb 15, 2012
This was ok. A little bland, but everyone ate it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.