Au Gratin Potatoes with Squash
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
Makes10 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 7 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and sliced
- 4 cups sliced peeled butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh chives
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; gradually whisk in milk and water. Stir in potatoes, squash and chives. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until potatoes and squash are almost tender.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the potato mixture and 1 cup cheese. Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and potatoes are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 267 calories, 13g fat (9g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Oct 10, 2015
I love this side dish...I did cheat and use frozen hash brown potatoes and frozen butternut squash.....just saying...still delicious!
Mar 4, 2015
This recipe looked so good. I tried it, and my family gave it a thumbs down. Doubt I would attempt a second try at it, but the blend of potatoes and squash in this recipe is not a good one. Maybe cut back the butternut squash portion.
Dec 16, 2013
Easy to make and family loved them
Dec 1, 2013
A great potluck dish. I didn't use a strong enough cheese to enhance the flavor as I did not have shredded Swiss on hand. A sharp cheddar would be good as well.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.