Au Gratin Peas and Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups sliced peeled cooked potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Layer with potatoes, salt, peas, 1 cup cheese and bacon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Combine mayonnaise and milk until smooth; pour over bacon. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 473 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Aug 5, 2019
This is a great, flavorful and comforting dish! I love the addition of the peas! It's easy to make with everything cooking up together in a skillet. Will definitely make again!
Dec 8, 2011
Bacon drippings are what really gives this recipe it's flavor, so don't omit!
Mar 13, 2011
tasty, except I was confused with the last step. So I ended up simmering the pot a little longer until the gravy mixture bubbles.