Au Gratin Peas and Potatoes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups sliced peeled cooked potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender.
- Layer with potatoes, salt, peas, 1 cup cheese and bacon. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Combine mayonnaise and milk until smooth; pour over bacon. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 473 calories, 31g fat (11g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 794mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 8, 2011
Bacon drippings are what really gives this recipe it's flavor, so don't omit!
Mar 13, 2011
tasty, except I was confused with the last step. So I ended up simmering the pot a little longer until the gravy mixture bubbles.