Warm Cabbage, Fennel and Pear Salad
This crunchy salad makes an elegant first course or side, but it's hearty enough to be an entree when paired with a crusty artisan bread. We love it served warm. —Grace Voltolina, Westport, Connecticut
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 firm medium pears
- 1/4 cup brandy or Cognac, optional
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 cups shredded or thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup crumbled or sliced Gorgonzola cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Peel and core pears; cut into 1/2-in. slices. If desired, toss with brand. Set pears aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add fennel; saute until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. Add cabbage; toss with fennel. Cook until both are tender, 2-3 minutes longer. Add pears, water, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper to skillet, gently combining ingredients. Cook until liquid is evaporated, 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Top with Gorgonzola cheese and toasted walnuts. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 391 calories, 26g fat (7g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 810mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 8g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Cabbage,Fennel, Pear Salad w/ gorgonzola & walnuts in Taste of Home November 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.