Au Gratin Potatoes with Green Chiles
These cheesy potatoes would be quite popular at holiday meals or potlucks. I like to serve it with my holiday ham.—Cathy Rau, Newport, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 40 min.
Makes13 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 4 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter and oil until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in the broth, milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the chilies, cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, mustard, garlic powder, pepper sauce and nutmeg until cheese is melted.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, arrange half of the potatoes and cheese sauce. Repeat (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 242 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 576mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as A'gratin Potatoes with Green Chiles in Taste of Home Winning Recipes 3
Jul 17, 2017
I don't make this with chilies, but this is an absolutely wonderful side dish. I brought it to a family gathering and everyone loved it, even the young ones. Definitely a good recipe for potato lovers.