Golden Au Gratin Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup butter, melted, divided
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- In a large bowl, combine soup, sour cream, 1/2 cup butter, onion and salt. Stir in potatoes and cheese. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Toss cornflakes and remaining butter; sprinkle over potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 449 calories, 27g fat (18g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 855mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 30, 2013
Love this recipe! Make it every year for Easter or every time we have ham.
Nov 15, 2011
Best cheesy potato casserole EVER! My family loved it, the cornflake topping gives it a crunch. I halved this recipe and it easily served our family of 6, with more left over. Instead of using condensed chicken soup, try making a white sauce with some chicken broth. I used 4 1/2 cups of shredded potatoes instead of frozen hash brown potatoes. (I did halve the recipe.) It was great, will make again.
Nov 3, 2011
This is easy and very tasty. My guests went back for thirds. I added more very sharp cheese and used Panko crumbs instead of corn flakes. Two suggestions: mash down the potatoes a litte as they tended to be a bit too hard and put under the broiler the last few minutes for a nice crusty top.
Aug 17, 2011
I made this recipe for a large gathering. I baked it in several pans in the oven and then transferred to a crock pot to serve. It received rave reviews.
Sep 18, 2009
what are "southern style" hash browns?
Apr 10, 2009
I love this recipe & have been making it since I saw it in the mag. For potato casseroles, this one is the BEST!
Jun 22, 2008
My friends all like this dish, make it for all of the holidays. Take it to a chicken cook out every year. They come back for more and want the recipe. D Goldstone
Feb 21, 2008
This is THE BEST cheesy potato recipe I have made or tasted. I take this to every potluck and always receive compliments. Very easy to prepare. I usually omit the topping-just a personal preference. It has been a favorite since 2002.