Au Gratin Cheesy Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups Basic White Sauce
- 1-1/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a saucepan, prepare a double recipe of the white sauce. Stir in cheese, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Gently stir in the potatoes until coated.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over potatoes. Cover and bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until crumb topping is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 291 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 678mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 24, 2012
Family loved this recipe. I cubed the potatoes instead of sliced and added bacon. Will definitely use as my standard au gratin recipe from now on.
Apr 20, 2012
Personally I would boil them - just until they were fork tender. I don't see any reason why you couldn't cheat and use canned, sliced potatoes as well. The flavor wouldn't be as fresh and you'd want to decrease the salt for sure - but it would certainly work well & speed up the prep of the dish.
Apr 20, 2012
The recipe calls for cooked potoates. It doesn't mention HOW. Do you bake them, boil them or what? And for how long? I haven't tried the recipe, but I want to. I'm just in the dark about the potatoes.
Jan 21, 2012
This is delicious.
Dec 14, 2009
Started making this recipe then realize I didn't have enough cheddar. Made up the difference with Havarti! Wow, that was really good. Now, I alternate depending on the main dish I'm serving! Thanks for this recipe!
Feb 27, 2008
This was great! My husband loved it. He thought the sauce was wonderful and he really liked the topping. Thank you for sharing this. :-)