- 8 cups sliced peeled potatoes (1/4-inch slices)
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 4 ounces Gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Add leeks; return to a boil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese and nutmeg until cheese is melted. Pour over potato mixture. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 40 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.