Party Potatoes Au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 4 cups whole milk
- 7 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly; set aside.
- Combine the potatoes, onions, cheese, remaining salt and pepper. Place a third of the mixture in a greased 5-qt. baking dish; top with a third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Jan 1, 2019
Excellent, easy and delicious dish! Like another reviewer, I cut the recipe in half and baked it for a much shorter time (45 minutes covered, about 15 minutes umcovered). Sauce is really creamy and cheesey! A great, hearty side dish!
Dec 1, 2018
I cut this recipe in half. It is delicious, hearty, and truly good home cooking. However - a couple of things I will change next time - cut in half, with four cups cheese, was a little bit much, and I LOVE cheese! Also, I think it woul be easier and more exact to layer the onions and cheese separtely, rather than combine them. For a "1/2" recipe I cooked it for 45-minutes, checked, an cooked it 10 more minutes. An indulgent once-in-a-while tasty recipe!
Dec 21, 2017
These were delicious. Very creamy and cheesy!
Mar 23, 2015
Nov 28, 2014
At first, the sauce looked like gravy served with chicken-fried steak, but looks can be deceiving. This was the yummiest, creamiest, and most buttered gratin dish I have made. Yummy! Thank you!