Party Potatoes Au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 4 cups whole milk
- 7 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly; set aside.
- Combine the potatoes, onions, cheese, remaining salt and pepper. Place a third of the mixture in a greased 5-qt. baking dish; top with a third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 1, 2019
Excellent, easy and delicious dish! Like another reviewer, I cut the recipe in half and baked it for a much shorter time (45 minutes covered, about 15 minutes umcovered). Sauce is really creamy and cheesey! A great, hearty side dish!
Dec 1, 2018
I cut this recipe in half. It is delicious, hearty, and truly good home cooking. However - a couple of things I will change next time - cut in half, with four cups cheese, was a little bit much, and I LOVE cheese! Also, I think it woul be easier and more exact to layer the onions and cheese separtely, rather than combine them. For a "1/2" recipe I cooked it for 45-minutes, checked, an cooked it 10 more minutes. An indulgent once-in-a-while tasty recipe!
Dec 21, 2017
These were delicious. Very creamy and cheesy!
Mar 23, 2015
Nov 28, 2014
At first, the sauce looked like gravy served with chicken-fried steak, but looks can be deceiving. This was the yummiest, creamiest, and most buttered gratin dish I have made. Yummy! Thank you!