Party Potatoes Au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 4 cups whole milk
- 7 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly; set aside.
- Combine the potatoes, onions, cheese, remaining salt and pepper. Place a third of the mixture in a greased 5-qt. baking dish; top with a third of the sauce. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 30 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.
Dec 21, 2017
These were delicious. Very creamy and cheesy!
Mar 23, 2015
Nov 28, 2014
At first, the sauce looked like gravy served with chicken-fried steak, but looks can be deceiving. This was the yummiest, creamiest, and most buttered gratin dish I have made. Yummy! Thank you!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.