Grandpa’s Party Potatoes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min.
- 12 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 carton (8 ounces) French onion dip
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash the potatoes with butter, milk, salt and pepper until smooth. Add cream cheese and onion dip; mix well.
- Spread in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 181 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 316mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 19, 2015
Delicious, great for a gathering where you need the convenience of make ahead dishes. The onion dip and cream cheese turn plain mashed potatoes into a decadent gourmet dish
Nov 24, 2014
My family of 12 LOVES these
Nov 2, 2013
I have found with most of the day-before potato recipes that the amounts of extra ingredients (sour cream, onion dip, cream cheese, etc.) are just fine regardless of how many extra potatoes are used - I have used sometimes a ten-lb. bag of potatoes without adjusting the other ingredient amts. and still get the full extra good flavor - I think making the day prior and leaving overnight in the refrigerator is what distributes the flavors real well.
Mar 8, 2013
I found this recipe in one of the Taste of Home Thanksgiving magazines. It called for 8 - 9 cups of potatoes. I measured out 2 - 1/2 lbs of potatoes using a kitchen scale. The consistency of the final product turned out slightly thinner than what I like, so next time I will measure out 3 lbs. Other than that, the potatoes were excellent! Loved the taste the french dip added to them. A new favorite for me & my family!
Jul 8, 2012
Our family loves this! It is so easy to make and a great dish to have when company comes over.
May 19, 2012
This was excellent. No leftovers on this dish.
Jan 14, 2012
I made this for a dinner party and the men went crazy over it. Probably loaded with calories but certainly impresses. Very easy too since I could make the day before and pop it in the oven an hour before we eat.
Nov 28, 2011
Very easy to make. I made it for Thanksgiving dinner and received lots of compliments. I used 5 pounds of (unpeeled) Yukon Gold potatoes. It makes a 13 x 9 cake pan full.
Nov 8, 2010
I used regular sour cream since that is what I had in refrig. I was wondering if this would freeze well?
Nov 7, 2010
Very good. I substituted ranch dip b/c I didn't have french onion dip. I will definitely be making these a day or two before Thanksgiving and then heating in the oven to ease up on the stress of preparing everything on the big day!