Three-Cheese Potato Souffle
Everyday mashed potatoes become appealingly elegant in Kathy Kittell's extra-cheesy souffle. "This casserole bakes up fluffy and golden-and makes a perfect company side dish," she confides from her Lenexa, Kansas kitchen.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 4 cups mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs, separated
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, milk, cheeses, onions, salt and pepper. Beat egg yolks; stir into potato mixture. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into potato mixture.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. souffle dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 153 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Three-Cheese Potato Souffle in Light & Tasty June/July 2001
Dec 6, 2016
How nice to find an easy souffle recipe. I scaled it down for the two of us, which meant that I could reduce the baking time by about 5 min. I'll make this one again.