Blue Cheese Souffle
Lightened up to fewer than 100 calories per serving and packed with protein, this rich and flavorful soufflé is a great side for beef. —Sarah Vasques, Milford, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 5 large egg whites
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 2-qt. souffle dish with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and seasonings. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute longer or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in blue cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese. Remove from the heat; transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly.
- In another large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into cheese mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined.
- Transfer to prepared dish. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately.