Ham and Cheese Souffle
I like to serve this tasty dish for brunch along with fresh fruit when I'm having guests. Not only is it easy, but everyone enjoys it. Make it the night before, then the next day all you need to do is bake it. —Airy Murray, Williamsport, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 16 slices white bread (crusts removed), cubed
- 1 pound sliced ham, chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 2-1/2 cups crushed cornflakes
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the bread, ham, cheddar cheese and Swiss cheese. Repeat layers. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, mustard and onion salt; pour over layered mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. Combine cornflakes and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Freeze option: Prepare souffle as directed, omitting cornflake mixture. Cover and freeze unbaked souffle. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare cornflake mixture; sprinkle over top. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 533 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 193mg cholesterol, 1171mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 30g protein.
Jan 19, 2014
Didn't do it for me. Too much soggy bread and cheese.
Feb 22, 2010
Excellent dish! Was a hit during a fun ski weekend! Super easy and quick to make and tastes great!!!!