Herb-Crusted Roast Beef
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1-3/4 hours + standing
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (4-1/2 to 5 pounds)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 2-1/3 cups water, divided
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place roast with fat side up in ungreased roasting pan. Combine the next five ingredients; pour over roast. Combine parsley, basil, salt, pepper, tarragon and thyme; rub over roast.
- Bake, uncovered, 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Remove to a warm serving platter. Let stand 10-15 minutes.
- Pour drippings and loosened brown bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 2 tablespoons. In a large saucepan, combine flour, bouillon and 1 cup water until smooth. Gradually stir in the drippings, reserved fat and remaining water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice roast; serve with gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 254 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 102mg cholesterol, 474mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 34g protein.
Oct 17, 2016
I loved the flavor of this and the mustard was a nice touch. I did substitute dried rosemary for the tarragon since I don't really care for that flavor and it worked very well. The gravy was just a little bit salty so next time I'll reduce the salt just a little. The bottom round roast had good flavor but just a little tough. I think I'll try the other option next time. Overall, a good recipe.
Apr 14, 2016
This was really pretty good - Jimmy said it tasted like peppered jerky! (Which he loves) I will certainly use this recipe again.
Nov 22, 2015
I made this and my husband loved it! It's a keeper
May 9, 2015
I made this for dinner tonight and it was wonderful! I made some changes, though. I don't like tarragon, so I used rosemary, instead. I also cooked it longer at a lower temperature. 275 degrees for four hours. Also, I don't have bouillon, so to make the gravy, I used 1 cup drippings, four tablespoons of flour mixed in 1 cup cold water, and salt and pepper to taste. This recipe is definitely going into my recipe box!
Apr 10, 2013
I saw garlic cloves, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, and Worcestershire sauce in the ingredients but they never mentioned where and how to use them on the recipe.
Feb 25, 2013
This has great flavor and a nice change from the usual dry onion soup type roast recipes. The gravy I made from the drippings was outstanding.
Jan 26, 2013
Flavor OK, but meat was tough. I used a bottom round roast, as indicated, and followed recipe exactly, cooking to medium (160 F.) Won't make again.
Nov 7, 2012
Outstanding. Followed recipe exactly and cooked to Med-Rare
Mar 24, 2012
my boyfriends whole family all loved it
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not the best cook but i can read a recipe. At first I thought this would be difficult...yes i'm a whimp. Overall very easy to make and worth it. The gravy that comes from this is out of this world. I make whenever we have guests over. LOVE THIS DISH!!