French Lentil and Carrot Soup
It's crazy how just a few ingredients can make such a difference. Using finely chopped rotisserie chicken in this recipe makes it perfect for a busy weeknight meal, but you can leave it out altogether if you prefer. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
Makes6 servings (2-1/4 quarts)
- 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/2 cups dried green lentils, rinsed
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker; cover. Cook, on low until lentils are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Stir in chicken and cream. Cover and continue cooking until heated through, about 15 minutes.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 338 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 738mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Dec 10, 2018
This is a perfect fall comfort food. It's a great, simple slow cooker recipe for busy nights when the weather gets cold!
Oct 4, 2018
Hearty soup for fall. French flare is great.