Carrot and Lentil Chili
This lentil chili is one of my favorite plant-based meals. I love to make it in the fall and spring for the satisfying combination of fresh carrots and hearty lentils. Serve it with yogurt, sour cream or plant-based cheese. —Rebekah Ranes, Sedona, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup dried green lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chopped carrots (about 10 medium carrots)
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- Optional: Sour cream, sliced red onion and additional paprika
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 4-5 minutes. Add lentils and garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker. Stir in carrots, broth and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low 4-6 hours or until vegetables and lentils are tender.
- Stir in diced tomatoes; cook, covered, 30 minutes longer. Serve with avocados and, if desired, sour cream, red onion and additional paprika.
- Freeze Option: Freeze cooled chili in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.