Lentil and Pasta Stew
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1/2 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh carrots
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked ditalini or other small pasta
- Shredded Romano cheese
- Brown kielbasa in oil and butter in a large skillet. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery and onion. Cook and stir for 3 minutes over medium heat. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the broth, lentils, tomatoes, bay leaf, pepper and salt.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until lentils are tender. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Stir pasta into slow cooker. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle servings with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without cheese): 364 calories, 18g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1021mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 9g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 30, 2016
This isn't as impressive as I thought it would be. I liked it but I felt it needed a fresh element. It was very heavy.
Dec 23, 2015
We loved this-it's very good and also very healthy. I used a pound of sausage instead of 1/2 pound so that it would be a main course that is filling enough even for my husband. So yummy.
Nov 13, 2014
We had this for dinner tonight and really enjoyed it. It's a terrific soup for a cold day. It's nice and hearty.