Spicy Veggie & Lentil Soup
I enjoy this recipe because it’s meatless, easy on the pocket and simply delicious! You can substitute any vegetables you like—it’s all a matter of preference. Serve warm pita bread on the side. —Geraldine Hennessey, Glendale, New York
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 cups halved fresh green beans
- 2 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots, halved diagonally
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups beef or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with spicy red pepper, undrained
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until vegetables and lentils are tender, 6-8 hours.
- Discard bay leaves. Stir in diced tomatoes; cook, covered, 30 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 146 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 693mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as SPICY LENTIL STEW in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.