Meatless Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 large carrots, halved and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 small red potatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the carrots, celery and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water, lentils, potatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 245 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 19g fiber), 16g protein.
Jan 15, 2016
FIVE STARS!! :-) I initially saw this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine and decided to try it based on Janet's declaration that it was her husband's favorite soup for 30 years. It is EXCELLENT! It takes a little preparation, the smells in the kitchen enticing - and it is now one of our favorite soups. I followed the recipe as is - and simmer it on the stove for quite a while - the longer it cooks, the thicker it gets. It's hearty and filling! So glad I tried it!
Jan 13, 2013
The soup was very watery and really had no flavor at all. I even tried adding more salt and some white pepper to give it a boost.
Oct 23, 2012
This was pretty good. I felt like it needed more salt and perhaps some other seasoning to jazz it up a bit. Maybe Italian Seasoning or shredded cheddar on top?
Oct 10, 2012
I have made this twice now and plan to make it again soon! My husband absolutely loved it and requested the second batch before the first was finished!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.