Meatless Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
Makes8 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 large carrots, halved and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 10 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 4 small red potatoes, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook the carrots, celery and onion over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the water, lentils, potatoes, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until lentils are tender. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 245 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 19g fiber), 16g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 15, 2016
FIVE STARS!! :-) I initially saw this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine and decided to try it based on Janet's declaration that it was her husband's favorite soup for 30 years. It is EXCELLENT! It takes a little preparation, the smells in the kitchen enticing - and it is now one of our favorite soups. I followed the recipe as is - and simmer it on the stove for quite a while - the longer it cooks, the thicker it gets. It's hearty and filling! So glad I tried it!
Jan 13, 2013
The soup was very watery and really had no flavor at all. I even tried adding more salt and some white pepper to give it a boost.
Oct 23, 2012
This was pretty good. I felt like it needed more salt and perhaps some other seasoning to jazz it up a bit. Maybe Italian Seasoning or shredded cheddar on top?
Oct 10, 2012
I have made this twice now and plan to make it again soon! My husband absolutely loved it and requested the second batch before the first was finished!