Spinach and Sausage Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 45 min.
Makes6 servings (2 quarts)
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 cups fresh spinach (about 4 ounces)
- Crumbled goat cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain.
- Stir in lentils, beans, broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; heat through.
- Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted. If desired, serve with goat cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 390 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 1242mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 8g fiber), 22g protein.
Feb 11, 2019
Really tasty! I also browned some diced onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil in the Dutch oven before adding the pork to add more flavour. Also I chose to remove the casing from the sausages before I started. Delicious and relatively low carb. I will share this with my friends!
Feb 9, 2019
This was a very simple but yummy recipe. The only thing that I changed was, I added a diced onion to the mix. We thought that added a good flavor.
Sep 7, 2017
This recipe was easy and tasty. We used regular sausage instead of spicy because we were feeding our two year old and it still had plenty of flavor. We did add two extra cups of water to get a little more broth. I will make this again.