Spinach Vegetable Soup
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1 small turnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon each dried thyme, basil and rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash to 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add the broth, potatoes, turnip, carrot, green pepper and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in spinach and corn; cool slightly. Puree half of the soup in a blender; return to the pan and heat through.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 139 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 788mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 6g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Mar 7, 2011
We have reviewed this recipe and verified that it was originally submitted and tested with two packages of spinach. However, it can easily be cut back to suit your personal preference.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Mar 6, 2011
I agree that maybe there is a typo regarding the spinach. It tasted great before I added the spinach. I think a full package is even too much - maybe 1/2 package. I'd try it again w/o all the spinach.
Oct 28, 2009
Way too much spinach, I think it must have been a typo error. I spent an hour trying to salvage the soup adding more broth, water and any vegetables I could find in my fridge freezer and cupboard. What a disaster. I will make it again but with only 1 package of spinach. Also if you have a submersion blender you can puree part of it right in the pan.