Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup
My mom picked up this barley soup recipe in her fitness class and passed it to me. It’s loaded with goodness! Sometimes, I substitute ground turkey as the meat and use chicken bouillon instead of beef flavored.—Emily Melton, Prophetstown, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 5 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the water, tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, bouillon, bay leaf, garlic, salt, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in mixed vegetables and barley; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10-15 minutes longer or until vegetables and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 233 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 527mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 9g fiber), 15g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Hearty Vegetable Barley Soup in Country Woman April/May 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips