Spinach White Bean Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato puree
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup uncooked converted long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until heated through. Stir in spinach. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle with cheese.
Freeze option: Before adding cheese, cool soup. Freeze soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 151 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 291mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 26, 2016
Used 2 cans of beans, home made veggie broth, bay leaves and a diced tomato. Pretty good. Next time will substitute swiss chard or kale for spinach.
Apr 2, 2014
I also used 2 cans of beans. Aside from that, I followed this to a T. Kale may be a better choice for this soup (I think it holds up better) but the spinach was fine the night off. Just made leftovers not quite as tasty as I would have liked.
May 9, 2012
Do not make this recipe! I followed it to a T & it was horrible! I finally added an extra can of beans as it was so runny. My stomach hurts it was so bad.
Mar 28, 2011
I eliminated the rice and added small soup pasta the last hour of cooking. It is fabulous and went out and bought the ingredients to make again this week !!
Mar 24, 2011
I also added another can of beans.
Mar 24, 2011
I used a 10.75 can of puree instead of 15 ounces and it was fine. I did not rinse the beans but did drain them. Next time I will cut down the salt a big to 1/4 tsp. since I didn't drain the beans. A good hearty soup that we liked.