Slow-Cooker Spinach Bean Soup
This navy bean soup is heartwarming comfort food at its best. It's my signature soup, and I make it for my family and friends. The bright red and green of the peppers and spinach give it a suitably seasonal look. —Barbara Shay, Pasadena, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + soaking Cook: 7 hours
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 smoked turkey wing (about 7 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 10 cups chopped fresh spinach (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine beans, broth, water, turkey wing, onion, jalapeno, garlic, bay leaves, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook, covered, on low until beans are tender, 7-9 hours.
- Remove turkey wing and bay leaves; discard. Stir in spinach, red pepper and salt; heat through. If desired, serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 230 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 1171mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 10g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Signature slow cook Navy Bean Soup w/ Smoke Turkey in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.