Spinach and White Bean Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) vegetable or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach (about 3 ounces)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir 30-45 seconds or until tender. Stir in two cans of beans, pepper and broth.
- Puree mixture using an immersion blender. Or, puree in a blender and return to pan. Stir in remaining can of beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in spinach and basil; cook, uncovered, 2-4 minutes or until spinach is wilted. If desired, serve with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 192 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 886mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 9g fiber), 9g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 26, 2019
Dec 10, 2018
I also added onion to the garlic. We enjoyed the soup on a cold December night. It was very good and I highly recommend it.
Oct 3, 2018
I love this recipe and so does my family! The only adjustment I made was I added some fresh onion to the garlic. The fresh basil gives the soup such a fresh burst of flavor !! Definitely a keeper
Feb 1, 2017
This was not a hit in my house. I don't know if I did something wrong or what but the soup ended up with a gritty texture and a little bland.
Apr 23, 2016
Good soup, I added a like nutmeg and it came out great. I will make again.