Chicken Wild Rice Soup with Spinach
I stir together my chicken-and-rice cream soup whenever we’re craving something warm and comforting. Reduced-fat and reduced-sodium ingredients make it a healthier option.—Deborah Williams, Peoria, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 5-1/4 hours
Makes6 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2/3 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, mix the first eight ingredients until blended. Cook, covered, on low until rice is tender, 5-7 hours.
- Stir in chicken and spinach. Cook, covered, on low until heated through, about 15 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 212 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 523mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Spinach Rice Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.