Herbed Chicken & Spinach Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Stir in spinach; cook 30 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Top with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups with 1 tablespoon cheese: 331 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 955mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 33g protein.
Mar 6, 2019
My family and I really liked this. I used a 32oz carton of low sodium chicken broth and 6 cups of spinach. I bumped up the seasonings to compensate, and added another tbl or so of tomato paste.. It's definitely one I'd make again.
Mar 5, 2019
I made a few changes, such as using chicken breast, low sodium broth, an orange pepper, and a can of mixed beans instead of just the kidney beans. It doesn't really get much easier. Just a few minutes prep and then you can just walk away. You can easily swap the chicken for turkey, and use whatever veggies you have on hand. It's a great way to clean out the pantry and the refrigerator!
Feb 23, 2017
Hubby enjoyed it. A tad bland for my taste but still a keeper for my regular rotation.
Feb 27, 2014
A delicious, well rounded, heart-warming soup! I'll make again for my friends next week.