Spinach Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute chicken until no longer pink; set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and green pepper until crisp-tender. Add the spaghetti sauce, spinach, mushrooms and olives. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain pasta; add chicken and pasta to the pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 492 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1323mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 39g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 20, 2017
Delicious! A wonderful recipe.- Theresa
Mar 18, 2014
Our family of 5 loved this dish! I substituted Shredded Pizza Cheese Blend for the Mozzarella Cheese and omitted the mushrooms.
Aug 31, 2013
I made a few changes using this recipe for inspiration. I used rotisserie chicken, cut up, about 3 handfuls of fresh baby spinach, trimmed and rough chopped and fresh baby portobello mushrooms, chopped. I sauted the peppers & onions first, then added the mushrooms for about 2 minutes, finally adding the spinach last, stirring in the hot veggies & removing from heat. I then layered the pasta, veggies & pasta sauce and finished with cheese on top. It was a BIG hit with my family!
Mar 29, 2012
I don't know what went wrong, we hated this.
Dec 10, 2011
Good but I did add some extra italian seasoning.
Dec 12, 2010
My family loved it and my teenage daughter requests me to make it again.
Oct 12, 2010
I really enjoyed this casserole, even my 2 year old ate it up! It isn't difficult to throw together, I would recommend to anyone.