Spinach Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute chicken until no longer pink; set aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion and green pepper until crisp-tender. Add the spaghetti sauce, spinach, mushrooms and olives. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain pasta; add chicken and pasta to the pan. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 492 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 1323mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 5g fiber), 39g protein.
Jan 20, 2017
Delicious! A wonderful recipe.- Theresa
Mar 18, 2014
Our family of 5 loved this dish! I substituted Shredded Pizza Cheese Blend for the Mozzarella Cheese and omitted the mushrooms.
Aug 31, 2013
I made a few changes using this recipe for inspiration. I used rotisserie chicken, cut up, about 3 handfuls of fresh baby spinach, trimmed and rough chopped and fresh baby portobello mushrooms, chopped. I sauted the peppers & onions first, then added the mushrooms for about 2 minutes, finally adding the spinach last, stirring in the hot veggies & removing from heat. I then layered the pasta, veggies & pasta sauce and finished with cheese on top. It was a BIG hit with my family!
Mar 29, 2012
I don't know what went wrong, we hated this.
Dec 10, 2011
Good but I did add some extra italian seasoning.
Dec 12, 2010
My family loved it and my teenage daughter requests me to make it again.
Oct 12, 2010
I really enjoyed this casserole, even my 2 year old ate it up! It isn't difficult to throw together, I would recommend to anyone.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.