Tortellini Spinach Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 pound brick or Muenster cheese, cubed
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper in 1/4 cup butter until mushrooms are tender. Remove and keep warm.
- In same skillet, combine milk and remaining butter. Bring to a gentle boil; stir in brick cheese until smooth. Drain tortellini; place in a large bowl. Stir in mushroom mixture and spinach. Add cheese sauce and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 378mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2018
Very good and easy. Cut the butter in half and used 2 boxes frozen spinach. Also, had some root vegetable and kale ravioli (Costco) on hand so used that instead of cheese tortellini.
Mar 9, 2018
This was delicious, but I only used one 16 oz. bag of frozen spinach, and it was almost too much! I made this in the a.m. to heat up later for dinner. If I make it again, in additional to the evaporated milk, I would make a cream sauce because it tends to get dried out. The tortellini absorbs all the liquid.
Jan 21, 2018
Only used 12 oz. of spinach and 1/2 pound of mushrooms. Still it was very good and enjoyed by all. With my changes it would not serve 12 though. I served it with salad and garlic bread. Would serve about 6 with generous portions.
Sep 15, 2016
Very easy to make and delicious! Great for vegetarians but most people don't even notice there isn't any meat because it is so filling!
Sep 8, 2014
This is a family favorite! I do only use one 10oz package of spinach (and most times not even all of that!) and it's more than enough for my spinach-loving husband
May 4, 2014
Easy to make, but we think only 2 boxes of spinach are needed. I bought evaporated milk but somehow it didn't make it home, so I just used some 2% milk and I didn't know what brick cheese was, so I used shredded 5 Italian-cheese mix, Everyone in the family loved it. It came out to be two meals for my family of 4 with a little leftover for lunch or snack.
Mar 2, 2014
Not only good right out of the oven, but great to reheat in the microwave. I'm not a big fan of tortellini so I changed that out for those round filled cheese raviolis (so good!). I kept everything else just as the recipe calls for.
Jan 13, 2014
Very good meatless entree, I will make this again. To lighten it up a bit, I used half the butter & it was plenty moist. I used the same large frying pan to sauté baby portobella mushrooms & make the cheddar cheese sauce, then added the cooked tortellini, spinach & mushrooms back to that pan...otherwise I would have used every pot in the kitchen. I added 2x the onion powder & pepper. Added a good amount of a spice blend to the whole shebang along with a few shakes of red pepper flakes. I like a little zing with my spinach. Lastly, I added some leftover cooked, cubed & spiced chicken. The whole dish took about 15 minutes longer with the foil off to reach a proper internal temp of 165'. Was satisfying without being heavy, juicy from the cheese sauce, mushrooms & spinach. Just what I was looking for.
Sep 8, 2013
I cut this recipe in half and 1 box of spinach was plenty. The family loved it, was easy and delicious. Could not find brick cheese so used sharp white chedder instead.
Feb 10, 2013
Delicious and easy. Everyone in my family loved this one.