Rice Spinach Casserole
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in the spinach, salt and pepper; cook until spinach is wilted.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 174 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 386mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Oct 28, 2019
Rather bland but tasty for 174 calories. By adding mozzarella cheese, bread crumbs, herbs and garlic would make it better but more calories.
Jan 5, 2014
The recipe was good, but next time I believe I'll add in some herbs &/or garlic.
Jul 11, 2013
This was very good. Could use a little garlic for my taste, but otherwise perfect.
Jul 6, 2012
Tasty. Different way to have spinach and rice and simple to make!
May 8, 2009
This is a GREAT way to get my kids to eat spinach. Simple too!