Scrambled Egg Spinach Casserole
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 12 eggs
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, nutmeg and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and remaining salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and cream. Stir in the spinach, feta and cooled white sauce. Pour over sausage mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. For topping, toss bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Top with Parmesan cheese and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 319 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 360mg cholesterol, 763mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 4, 2017
bnrudy.. This recipe is great even if you sub the feta with Swiss or provolone..
Apr 6, 2017
Not a fan of feta cheese, what other cheese could I use?
Dec 12, 2013
I made one small change...substituted mushrooms for the sausage. Delicious!
Jan 7, 2013
I love this recipe!
Aug 23, 2012
I halved the recipe and made it in an 8x8 pan and it turned out beautifully. I used hot italian turkey sausage and panko crumbs. It was very easy and served with some sliced fruit and a mini croissant, was a lovely late breakfast.
Apr 6, 2011
This was good without the topping and cuts back on the carbs. I didn't want to buy a container of half-and-half for just 3 tablespoons, so I used fat free milk. It turned out just fine with the milk.