Creamy Spinach Chicken Dinner
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 10 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir chicken and onion in oil for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in soup and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Stir in the spinach, cheese and pepper; cook for 1-2 minutes or until spinach is wilted and cheese is melted.
- Drain pasta; add to chicken mixture and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1-3/4 cups: 675 calories, 41g fat (22g saturated fat), 180mg cholesterol, 945mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 44g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 23, 2015
Very good recipe for a quick, weeknight meal. I followed the directions exactly except for using Cream of Celery soup instead of Cream of Mushroom. It was very rich, and I think I will substitute half-and-half for the whipping cream next time.
Jun 12, 2013
Wondering if I could use 2 (10 ounce each) pkgs. frozen chopped spinach (well drained) instead of fresh. Thank you for your reply!
Jan 18, 2012
This is a delicious meal. The first time I made it I followed recipe exactly and loved it this time I didn't have cream of mushroom soup so I used cream of celery and I like it a lot better with that.. It is extra yummy.... OH actually I didn't follow it exactly the first time I used1% milk instead of heaving whipping cream and I used that this time too... Don't want any extra calories and the milk was just fine to make it yummy!
Jan 11, 2011
This was delicious! I added a clove of fresh garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. Will definitely make again!
Jan 2, 2011
it was realy good but we cut down on the sp
Nov 9, 2010
Loved it! My whole family liked it, but we eat a lot of meals with spinach. I used 2% milk to cut down on calories.
Oct 20, 2010
Considering my family does not eat spinach, onions or cream of mushroom soup, this was an easy dish. I used cream of celery, left out the spinach and onion and it was still very tasty. Added a bit of milk to thin the sauce and used 1 1/2 cup mozzie cheese.
Mar 24, 2010
I even added steamed asparagus and sauted mushroom. i also added 2 cloves of garlic with the onion for more flavor.
Feb 25, 2010
A family favorite!
Dec 29, 2009
This was a great recipe! I used rotisserie ckn and added a bag of sliced mushroom. It was very tasty :)