Chunky Sausage Lentil Soup
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 25 min.
Makes10 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 8 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed and crumbled
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium red potato, diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- Salad croutons, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onions, celery and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, potato, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in lentils; heat through. Serve with croutons if desired. Freeze option: Reserving croutons for later, freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Top each serving with croutons if desired.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups (calculated without croutons): 314 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 17g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 2, 2017
This was just okay. It's not a keeper for me.
Dec 29, 2012
I halved everything, and used leftover turkey chopped up. Still was awesome and easy.
Mar 3, 2012
This was pretty good. My picky kids would not eat it, but DH and I liked it. It made a ton of soup. I'm going to try freezing some of it.
Feb 1, 2012
This was so easy to put together and tasted great. I'll definitely make it again.