Spiced Split Pea Soup
A hint of curry adds the perfect amount of kick to this family pleasing soup. Just assemble the ingredients in the slow cooker and go about your day while it cooks. —Sue Mohre, Mount Gilead, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 7 hours
Makes10 servings (2-1/2 quarts)
- 1 cup dried green split peas
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker combine first 12 ingredients. Cook, covered, on low until peas are tender, 7-9 hours.
- Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Discard bay leaves.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 139 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Spiced Split Pea Soup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.